Guide to Integrating HuBMAP Calendar Feeds
The HuBMAP Consortium maintains a web calendar that combines all shared, internal Consortium events. A characteristic of the standard calendar feed technology is that anyone with the link can share it publicly (e.g., a Google-integrated calendar can be easily published and shared at large). Consequently, expect any information on calendar events to be publicly available.
To add events or for questions about the calendar, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more help with the calendar, see https://www.teamup.com/help/general-help/.
A calendar feed subscription allows you to view Consortium events on your personal calendar. It serves as a means to remain aware of Consortium events, block off times, and access call information. It is not intended to replace event invites, which have functions to RSVP, forward, and share meeting information.
Combined Calendar feed: https://hubmapconsortium.org/hubmap-calendar
For those behind a firewall that prohibits redirection, the current link points to https://teamup.com/ksf1hgckjhgqzszrfi.
Some may not wish to integrate all shared, consortium-internal events. To integrate only events from calendars of interest, use feeds from the table below. For those behind a firewall, please retrieve the current redirect links from the help desk by mailing email@example.com.
See below for instructions on how to integrate with Google and Outlook calendar services. For other integrations, please contact the help desk.
The event organizer should create an Outlook/Google meeting invite with the following characteristics:
- Clear and concise name (e.g., “HuBMAP Steering Committee Meeting”, “HuBMAP Data Science WG Meeting”, etc.)
- Time (ensure it is in appropriate time zone)
- Recurrence (ensure this includes the appropriate dates, e.g. sometimes the 4th Thursday of the month is not the last)
- Location - (e.g. venue, Zoom link)
- Details should include
- Link to meeting agenda/notes, charter, current member list, G Drive folder, GitHub repos/team, Slack channel, kb tag, and any other tools and/or documents as appropriate
- Zoom information
Invitations should be sent to all meeting invitees via email or listserv.
If the event is open to all Consortium members, then the invite/meeting details should also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consortium calendar updates should be requested by contacting the help desk at email@example.com.
You can share event info from the main calendar via an event page link.
Go to the calendar on the HuBMAP Collaboration Portal page. Click on the event you want to share, then choose Share > As page. In the window that opens, copy the URL and distribute it. If you like, you can edit the hyperlink to read the event name/date.
Anyone who receives the link will be led to an event page, which has integration links for all calendar platforms at the top of the page. This will allow them to put events onto their calendar independent from the “feed subscription”.
Subscribing to Calendar Feeds
Note that a calendar feed subscription allows you to view Consortium events on your personal calendar. It serves as a means to remain aware of Consortium events, block off times, and access call information. It is not intended to replace event invites, which have functions to RSVP, forward, and share meeting information.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or see https://www.teamup.com/help/general-help/.
- Login to Google
- Navigate to http://www.google.com/calendar
- Click on the settings menu at the top right:
- Choose ‘settings’ from the drop down:
- Click ‘add calendar’ on the left
- Click ‘From URL’
- Type in the calendar feed to integrate and click ‘Add calendar’
- Look for the newly added calendar on the left under ‘Settings for other calendars’ and click to configure (calendar color may vary). Change the name of the calendar, as desired (e.g., “HuBMAP All”) Navigate here in the future to unsubscribe (“Remove calendar”).
- Click the arrow on the top left to return to calendar view
- Look on the right under ‘Other calendars’ and ensure the new calendar is ‘checked’ :
- Confirm calendar has been added:
- If not integrating the main, combined calendar, repeat steps above for each sub-calendar
Outlook 2016 for Windows
- Go to 'Calendar' view (select icon on bottom left of screen)
- Click 'Open Calendar' -> 'From Internet'
- Paste in the URL for the calendar you'd like to subscribe to and click 'OK' (https://hubmapconsortium.org/cal.ics)
- Click 'yes' to add the calendar
- Confirm that the calendar has been added to the side of your main calendar, looks a bit like this:
- Right click the calendar, click 'overlay'
Do NOT Close the calendar, it will remove the overlay from your primary calendar:
- Make sure you can see the events on your calendar.
Return to Home.